Thursday, January 31, 2008

Rockin' the bed!

Last night was my first earthquake! It was so small that no Philippine siesmology websites seem to acknowledge it happened. But at 3:40am, I awoke to my bed shaking and soon realized it was the whole house. The dogs in the area were all howling or growling, but in less than 10 seconds it was over and all was quiet again. At breakfast many of the girls said that they were awoken too.

When Oahu had its latest earthquake, I was in China. I was a little dissapointed I missed it and was (sort of) hoping that I'd get to experience one. Baguio was devestated by an earthquake in 1990, so it would be naive and callous of me to "wish" for one. And now... having felt it... I didn't really like it. The bed was shaking so little that it felt like something I would be able to stop, and thus knowing how entirely helpless I was to do so, kind of scared me. The earth was shaking. That's just weird... and scary.

But I'm fine, and now I can say I've experienced an earthquake. Hopefully, that will be the extent of it... and more hopefully, Pinatubo won't get angry again. (We don't like when Pinatubo gets angry.)

2 comments:

kris said...

Nik, I know you have talked a lot about doing this kind of work and wanting to find all these kinds of programs and taking real interests to things... but nothing is as hard hitting as the pictures and reading your stories about what you're doing... the pictures are a huge contributor. I admit that a lot of times when you talked about stopping child abuse and other things i always painted the picture that you were on the band wagon with people who think any form of disclipine is bad. Obviously the parameters of what you are doing and were talking about are much larger than that, what i really want to say is that I am really proud of you. thinking about what you're doing over there is really touching. keep it up! and please take as many pictures as you can, i know their may be restrictions. thanks! sorry i didn't read these earlier.

JKelsey said...

I think the scene you just described was the opening to The Exorcism of Emily Rose...

You've earned some good JuJu though, so I wouldn't worry.