Tuesday, January 22, 2008

To be rich and beautiful...

Diana is one of the fifteen year old residents. She's been taking care of me with whatever I've needed since I first arrived.

Cute story... Diana asked me, "you want to kilo yourself?" Confused, I followed her pointing finger to the scale on the floor. She saw me laughing and asked, "what is it called?" But my answer only led her to ask, "do you want to scale yourself?" Eventually I told her how to correctly ask that question and "kilo-ed" myself.

Also last night, Jamie and I were keeping Diana company in the kitchen while she was making dinner. Having already been complimented multiple times in a short while, when Diana said, "you're so beautiful," this time I pleaded with a smile, "stop. Thank you, but stop." Jamie turned to her friend and said, "What about me? Am I beautiful?" Daina quickly replied, "no! You have no money." She then turned back to me said, "you're gorgeous..." and put out her hand, "...one peso."

After dinner she continued her questionably sincere flattery to which I now responded, "I'm broke... do you know that word: broke? It means I have no money." Excited by this new useful vocabulary, Diana stopped little 10-year old Nancy in the hall and loudly proclaimed, "I'm broke!" to which Nancy passionately and even more loudly retorted, "I'm broke too!" I'm not even sure if Nancy knew what it meant, but it looked and sounded so funny that we all burst out laughing.

Later on, having forgotten protocol, when Diana said, "I like your hair," I said "thank you." She promtly reminded me, "I don't like thanks. I like pesos." This morning, when she got her allowance, I was sure to tell her, with an extended hand, how beautiful she was.

No comments: