Monday, March 25, 2013

Dance O Mat

A group in Christchurch called Gap Filler that made the pallet café built an outdoor dance floor complete with disco ball. Next to the dance floor they converted an old washing machine into a music player called the Dance o Mat. The push coin slot accepts two dollar coins and will then allow for 30 minutes of use of the jack under the lid that can plug into any MP3 device such as an iPod, smart phone, etc. This is clearly the best invention ever.

They had a sign up for groups that wanted to reserve it, but when we passed no one was using it. I figured it would be one of those things I'd regret if I didn't give it a try. After the panic of not knowing what song to choose, I went with the Bangles' Walk Like an Egyptian. Apparently, having an entire dance floor to myself turns my dance style into one similar to the Tazmanian Devil's. Austin took video as passerbys stared and wondered what the heck they were seeing. I was having the best time. I so wished for my girls--can you imagine all the fun we'd have?! Hopefully so much fun that people would join in instead of stare. I only had the guts to do one song by myself that day, but we'll be going back to Christchurch.

The Dance o Mat is my new favorite invention, and I would like to build one in Honolulu, AKA every city I live in for the rest of my life.

No comments: