Monday, May 26, 2008

Fijian Lemonade

In a few ways, my family trip to Fiji had a theme that could be summed up by the phrase: when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Lemon: On the last family trip with Mom, Dad, Chuck, and Krista (to Alaska), I felt like the rotating third wheel, so this time I invited a friend to balance the group; but my friend didn't come, and I was on my own again.
Lemonade: I had a cabin room all to myself, and I spent more time with the crew and other passengers than I would have, making a bunch of new international friends.

Lemon: My mom changed the type of cruise to a more expensive cultural/historical trip that runs only four times a year. This new price made things harder for my friend to join us.
Lemonade: We visited schools, villages and areas rarely seen by tourists and were treated to traditional shows by Micronesian and Polynesian tribes as well as the expected Melanesians of Fiji; a much more special experience than a normal beach-hopping trip.

Lemon: Our tour bus's tire needed to be changed.
Lemonade: A good excuse to stop and visit the local markets and shops.
Lemon: After we were underway, that same tire spat off all of its nuts which a passenger noticed just in time before the tire came off the moving bus.
Lemonade: We all got off and enjoyed our cruise-provided morning tea of fresh fruit and finger sandwiches on the shaded side of the road overlooking the sea until a new bus arrived.

Lemon: I had a dramatic spill on slippery rocks near a cascading waterfall and badly sprained my ankle forcing me to limp on a cane for four days.
Lemonade stand: Large, well-muscled crew members supported and carried me on their arms and backs; I experienced local Fijian medicine first-hand; and a crew member picked and guided the hermit crab representing my cabin in the ship's crab race and won me a bottle of champagne.

Lemon: My underwater digital camera broke (again). This is the third time I've found myself mid-trip without a camera.
Lemonade: I'm now used to this occurrence and nearly expected it to happen. Now I have less to carry and worry about as I gave Chuck the (paper-weight) camera and charger to bring back to Hawaii. Fortunately, the memory card wasn't damaged, and we have some great underwater shots.

I really don't expect sympathy or praise; after all, how hard is it to make the best of a Fijian cruise with my family? I had a fabulous time, and honestly, the "lemonade" tasted more like champagne.

(Next stop: National Parks of the Southwest including Yosemite, Sequoia, Brice, Joshua Tree, Grand Canyon)

No comments: