Sunday, April 06, 2008

A Turning Point

There are a few new habits that I've taken back with me from my trip: eating with a fork and spoon, saying "joke lang" after one of my deadpan deliveries, singing no matter who's around, and hopefully the most permanent will be the way I see the world.
Previously, when I spoke of visiting a country, it was about exploring its natural beauty. I traveled as if going through a museum, and the people I met there were part of the exhibit--members of a collective culture. I was guarded and suspicious of those who'd stare, smile at, or approach me (almost everyone when I'm one of the only white people around). I assumed they wanted to take advantage of me as a "rich" foreigner or as a woman, and I would respond with one word answers and quick glances. But having lived in a country where a simple wave or smile causes most people to light up, my perspective's changed; like a camera lens adjusting, the mountains are now the backdrop to my new focus: the people.
The Filipino openness was contagious. They just wanted to help, and by simply smiling at them, traveling became more fun and easy. The nicer I was to them, the more helpful they were to me. This hardly sounds like the stuff of grand epiphanies, but I didn't get it before. Now, traveling isn't about protecting myself; it's about connecting. Of course, I will still be cautious, but it will no longer block me from really seeing the world.
I don't expect that all countries' people will be as friendly and genuine as Filipinos, but at least I'll give myself the chance to find out. A nervous energy that used to propel me through foreign countries and out of my comfort zone has given way to a relaxed anticipation.
My time in the Philippines was invaluable in countless ways... but I feel this change is going to make the biggest difference in how I live my life.
While I don't want to get all Academy Awards, I do feel compelled to extend a special salamat-po to Danny Urquico, Becky Wells, Patti Lyons, Liza Benter, and all my friends in the Philippines for everything you've taught me. I look forward to our next meeting and hope it's soon.

No comments: