Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Zhenyuan

We love it here. It's not that small of a village, but certainly the smallest we've stayed at. It is also, by far, the most picturesque place we've been. The buildings have an old style to them and the streets are narrow and windy. There's a turquoise river that runs through the town that's set in lush green mountains. It was a foggy and rainy day, but that just made everything greener. In some ways, we feel like we've finally made it to China.

The bus ride was bumpy and curvy... not great for the stomachs, but we were okay. An old woman came on board with her live chicken. Ha ha! I loved that part. They played a funny Chinese movie (The Conman) on the bus that had English substitles. That was cool except for the fact that the reading worsened our queaziness.

Tomorrow we're off to Shibing after a boat ride to look at some gorges. It will also be Kris's birthday (October 26th), so we're going to have to find a bakery. Yay cake!

Oh oh, I have another funny lost-in-translation story. So there was a man acting as our translator at our hotel in Kaili, and when I thanked him for his help, he replied, "no sex." Figuring that he was trying to say some form of "no thanks needed" or "you're welcome", I tried so hard not to laugh and failed. I tried to play it off that I was laughing at something in the guide book I was holding, but I don't think I was believeable. I felt really bad, but it was too funny. Of all the responses he could have given... It was a great moment, and I crack up every time I think of it-- like now. LOL!

No comments: